Blog

Fitness: it's better together

15 February 18
Fitness: it's better together Image
By Glenda Rivoallan, CEO

As Club Soulgenic's founder, I often get asked why we've chosen to move away from a traditional gym model. It's a fascinating question to answer, and it wasn’t a decision that was taken lightly.

An outdated approach

The traditional gym model involves going to a gym and engaging in unsupervised workouts. But all current fitness research indicates this approach simply doesn't work for the average gym user.

Gyms use 'member retention rates' as a key measure of success. If people keep up their memberships and keep coming back, then things must be working for them. The sad reality is that retention of members in traditional gyms is at an all time low, with some demonstrating as little as 30% retention year-on-year. People join, don't get what they want, then leave.

Yes, gyms are always going to lose members. It’s to be expected that people will dip in and out of their fitness journey for a variety of reasons. But surely we can do a lot better than 30%? I believe we can find a way to provide a better fitness experience for the other 70%.

Support and motivation

I've personally spent years researching what helps people to succeed with fitness regimes, and it comes down to three things: motivation, support and community. When we designed the Club Soulgenic approach, we put these qualities at its heart.

And key to providing people with the motivation, support and sense of community they need to succeed with an exercise routine are group fitness classes. Group fitness provides a structured environment, a balanced workout, support from knowledgeable instructors, and the motivation of your classmates. Group classes are effective and fun, which keeps people coming back for more.

A recipe for success

Offering a fitness experience involving a large number of classes and supervised instructor led classes is an expensive operation to run. But the reasons for doing so are compelling, with the latest UK research showing:

  • Group participants are 26% less likely to give up their exercise regime than when they follow traditional gym solutions.
  • Group participants are 79% more likely to achieve their fitness goals than when they train alone.

This is why I always say to my friends: don’t select a fitness club purely on price, but after you have assessed the real value.

Is it worth spending £45 a month for a membership you rarely use, or is it more sensible to pay a bit more to achieve life changing results and love the experience along the way?

I know which option I choose.

The price of health

As a passionate CEO, I leave you with a thought-provoking discussion I'd love you to pass on to your friends.

We live in a world where people want instant gratification and reward, where people want all the gain without too much effort or too much cost. But what price do we put on our health?

I think that many people don't invest much in their health at all - for many, health is cheap. But I don’t think this is a conscious decision; we often don’t know the value of something until it’s gone, and I think this is particularly true for health. So with this in mind, ask yourself and your friends:

Why do we happily spend an average of £2.48 a day on one cup of coffee, but grumble about the cost of a quality fitness club membership at an average of £3 a day?

I would love you to hear what kind of responses you get!